Sunday, July 11, 2010

hand, foot, mouth



Max got the Coxsackie virus (known as hand, foot, mouth.) while we were in Utah. It's so terrible! I took him to the doctor and there's really nothing you can do. I want to cry every time I look at him. He has the rash all over his body. everywhere! Even IN his mouth. There's little bumps and big bumps everywhere. Some places look terrible. Like big blisters all over.
The doctor said he had a very impressive case. I don't know what he thinks is so impressive about it! Impressive is not the word I would use. More like TERRIBLE!
He's doing really well with it. Better then I am about it. I give him oatmeal baths, Ibuprofen, benadryl, and rub triamcinolone ointment all over him.
The doctor said it could last up to 5 to 7 days. Blah! I feel so miserable for him. The rash looks horrendous. I hope he gets better soon. Meanwhile, we're keeping Max at home. It's very contagious. Older kids usually don't get it so bad. Adults usually don't get it. If they do get it, It would be a sore throat.
I think he's on the mend now. The parts of his body that started out first with the rash are going away. It seems to start out as small bumps then grows into a big red blister and then scabs over.
I hope it goes away soon. My poor baby......




2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Poor Max! Wow, not fun at all! -For him or for you guys. I'm glad that you had a great trip to Utah overall...but am so sorry he caught that stinkin' virus while he was there. Ouch, it looks so painful and frustrating. I am glad that he is handling it pretty well. I hope he heals and recovers VERY soon!

Chelle! said...

Oh my goodness!! That is awful. It looks like it hurts!!!